Let’s face it!!! When Monday comes, all we really think about is how quickly the week will pass by so we can start the weekend again. It doesn’t have to be this way and we have the choice to make a change in how we look at the way we start our week and find new ways to create a more positive, enjoyable atmosphere and attitude.
Sunday nights don’t have to be about dreading Monday mornings or obsessing over all of the work you have to do the following week. Plan out your work week with as much enthusiasm as you spend planning the weekend. Here are 8 tips that may be useful:
- Put a diffuser in your home office with essential oils like Lemon or Peppermint which help to lift up your mood, clean the air and smell wonderful.
- Put a salt lamp in your home office. The negative ions will counteract all of the electronics being used while you work. Not to mention, it will enhance your energy level along with relieving stress and anxiety.
- Treat yourself to your favorite coffee, pastry, or lunch on a Monday instead of a Friday. The end of the week is a payoff in itself so having that special something to look forward to when we start the week off can change our whole outlook and dread of Mondays.
- Sleep. This cannot be said enough. I know some of us have kids but this is important in order to remain healthy and to have a productive day. An idea would be to get to sleep a little earlier and wake up earlier to start your day. Perhaps, the hour before our clients begin assigning projects or calling will become appreciated “quiet time” or calm before the storm.
- Work outside occasionally. While it is nice to work from home, sitting in your home office can become dull and you find yourself looking out the window at the sun shining and wishing you could enjoy it. The good news is that you can. Bring your laptop and anything you will need for your project or at least part of it. If you have kids, this allows them some time outside to play and you can keep an eye on them while getting your work done.
- Pack it up and change your scenery. With the same idea as working outside, the beauty of working from home can also allow you to work from anywhere. Sit and finish those e-mails or spreadsheets in a local coffeehouse or someplace that brings you peace and has Wi-Fi of course.
- Take a break. We all have deadlines that need to be met but it is also crucial for our sanity and to continue to put forth our best work if we have spurts of relaxation. Whether you spend some time with your kids, listen to music, watch an episode of your favorite show on Netflix, take a short walk or read you will notice the difference in how you perceive your workday and allow yourself some work-life balance on a daily basis while still getting things done. In fact, you will notice an increase in the quality of your work.
- Daily affirmations and to-do lists. It is imperative to keep track of the daily or weekly tasks we are required to accomplish for our clients but it is equally important to write out positive notes to ourselves and post them as clearly as we do the list of spreadsheets or phone calls we need to make. Reading something as simple as having faith or embracing your talents or a simple compliment to yourself that you can look at when you feel overwhelmed or stressed during a task will immediately adjust how you are perceiving things.
Don’t be afraid to give yourself a gold star sometimes. You deserve it!
Written by: Laura DeGaetano, who is one of our amazing virtual assistants here at EVA offering some great tips to create a more positive, enjoyable atmosphere and attitude.